Ask Scott

THE BEST ADVICE ON THE WEB - Problems? I can solve them. Just leave details of your dilemma anywhere in the comments and I will fix your life.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Good timing

I don't know how familiar you are with domestic chores but I need an answer to this. When is the best time to turn my socks out-side-out? Is it (a) as soon as I take them off, (b) before putting them in the wash, (c) before hanging them out to dry, (d) before putting them away, or (e) before putting them on? And why? Also, same question for t-shirts. My clothes-line is indoors so fading is not an issue. "Who cares, that's woman's work" is not an acceptable answer. :) - Simon

This is a household chore I'm particularly particular about. The best time to turn your socks out-side-out is:-

(e) before putting them on.

This is because the socks will usually be stuck together after being bundled up in the drawer. The process of turning them out prepares the socks for easy pulling onto your feet.

With t-shirts, the answer is:-

(d) before putting them away.

When you fold your t-shirts, you should fold them in such a way that the design on the front is easily seen. By all means, if your t-shirts are inside out, you can guess the one you're after by the colour/textile of the material. However, you probably have multiple t-shirts the same colour/textile, making it hard to tell them apart. Also, the colour may have faded or the textile become rougher due to old age, making it harder to recognise your desired t-shirt.

So, save yourself time. Don't struggle while putting socks on. Don't waste precious seconds unfolding t-shirts only to fold them again. Follow my advice. It's the best on the web.

PS. I will endevour to steer away from the chauvinism that may have been interpreted in the Dirty Shower Scene post. Appologies to anyone who may have been offended.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:14:00 PM, Blogger simon said...

Thanks. That helps.

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006 10:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many times during the week before one's wedding should one shave their face? (Assuming one is male and one shaves on the day of their wedding.)

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 12:09:00 PM, Blogger simon said...

I've been trying to follow your advice but I've discovered that for me the answer is d) for socks and and c) for t-shirts. Here's why. I'm not a morning person. I tend to be a little physically and mentally sluggish while getting up and ready for work. At this time the chore of sock turning may be too much to bear. For shirts I tend to find myself flipping as necessary when wet before hanging. I think it's my compulsive tendency to want to see them hanging neatly in a row. So thanks anyway. I guess sometimes the best answer is the one you discover deep inside yourself. Ps, I saw Nacho Libre. Yes. Double thumbs up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home